Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Vadapalani - Aeroplane Kavadi

Talking of aeroplanes in the previous posts, I happened to see this sight a few days back - I realised it was what is nowadays referred to as the `aeroplane kavadi.' A rickety structure of casuarina poles tied together to form a frame from which people were suspended by hooks. These were devotees fulfilling a vow to the Vadapalani Murugan -- the temple gopuram can be seen in the background. Luckily for me, I happened to have the camera with me...

It was a hot afternoon with the air around shimmering in the heat.

... and these two guys were dragging the cart on which the frame was built...


... the whole thing was hooked to their backs... the road was so hot they had to stand on a piece of sacking to avoid blisters...
...that they had some help in pulling the cart was no consolation... the whole structure was swaying and there were two-three chaps on the cart to stop the frame from keeling over...
...I do not know about them but I was certainly relieved when the group reached the temple and people helped get the devotees off the hook.

No comments: